Social media is everything these days which means your images need to be beautiful, inspiring and well thought out, while still remaining to look effortless all at the same time. A popular photography style is the the "flat lay". Essentially it's a birds eye view of strategically placed products that relate, tell a story or portray a lifestyle. We style lots of flat lays for clients so we thought we'd share out top tips and tricks with you.
- Lighting is EVERYTHING- natural lighting is always the best, its bright, crisp and avoids shadows so your products standout. Often times we take these pictures outside in daylight or at least by a big window. If natural lighting isn't working in your favor though then invest in a set of professional lights like these.
- Think of a Theme- your theme could be a color way or maybe it's just a story your telling such as all travel necessities or your sharing a big picture of a tablescape just make sure every piece in the picture ties in within one another in some way.
- Think about your Backdrop- for a clean crisp look stick to a white background or a pale shade of a color. Your background can be as simple as a poster board from the Dollar Store. For texture or a rustic vibe get creative use a piece of wood, cork or even moss. Just try to stay away from glossy surfaces as they will reflect light.
- Balance your Pieces- avoid any large white spaces. Think of your pictures cut up in four quarters is there an equal or balanced amount of props in each quarter?
- Take lots of Pictures- meaning more than you think you need and at different angles because from one picture to the next you might be surprised at which looks best.